|The well known Chattanooga Markethas created a dynamic new event to further demonstrate a local passion for food. The Team Tennessee Teen Cook-off is to be held Sunday, June 24th at the First Tennessee Pavilion, downtown Chattanooga.
Team Tennessee is a sanctioned World Food Championship team sponsored by Public Markets, organizer of the largest producer-only market in the region—the Chattanooga Market. The winning team (two students) from the Teen Cook-off will win a Golden Ticket to the WFC event in Orange Beach, AL this November ($3,000 value), a Lodge Cast Iron cookware prize package and scholarship funding to Virginia College Culinard Institute in Chattanooga, TN.
The organizations are looking for teens who are experienced, passionate and knowledgeable about food prep, cooking, safety practices, operating gas ovens/stoves and are comfortable demonstrating their skills in front of a live audience. Applications will only be accepted online at chattamarket.wufoo.com/forms/team-tennessee-teen-cookoff/ where those seeking one of the five coveted competitor positions will go through a series of reviews. All applications must be submitted by May 1st. Additional information can be found at
GENERAL GUIDELINES FOR ENTRY
Team Tennessee Teen Cook-Off is a cooking competition open to students from 9th to 12th grades, home-schooled teens are also eligible (age 15-18). By incorporating local foods from the Chattanooga Market, teen teams will face off in a timed cook-off. The winning team of the competition will receive a golden ticket to compete in the World Food Championship (WFC).
About the Competition:
- The competition is open to the entire state of Tennessee, however only 5 teams of two will be selected by Chattanooga Market personnel after a review process.
- A team consists of 2 students: one captain (who fills out the application and is the main contact) and one student (9-12th grade) whom they choose to be their teammate. A teammate is not necessary to compete, a captain may compete alone.
- The Deadline to apply for the competition is May 1st. Final five contestants will be announced by mid-May.
- Only online applications are accepted. Please check your calendar for availability on June 24th prior to applying.
- By applying to the competition, you are giving permission for use of you/your teen’s photo and name publicly. This includes but is not limited to social media sites, magazine publications, newspaper stories, and local tv news stations.
- Teen teams should be prepared to make 6 portions of their entry at the competition. (One for each judge and the emcee.) The ingredients will be supplied along with standard pantry items at the time of the competition. However, teens will need to supply the rest. This includes pots, pans, plates, cooking utensils, etc. (much greater details is provided to competitors).
- Judges will score each teen based on use of local foods, taste, presentation, and creativity.